Montchanin, Delaware is a small village with a population of less than thirty. This village is located in the town of Montchanin, on the east side of the river from Wilmington, Delaware. The population is mostly composed of families with children. The residents of Montchanin, Delaware are a close-knit group of residents who speak the Montchanin dialect of English. Montchanin, Delaware is well known for its historic buildings, especially those found in Old Montchanin Village, an early home of the people of Montchanin. Further facts about Wilmington, DE can be found here.
Montchanin was first settled by settlers, many of whom came from England. Montchanin was originally named after the Indian tribe of the same name. The Dutch, German, and French were also among those that settled here. The people of this village have always had good relations with the Dutch, Germans, and the French. The German immigrants that settled here, did so because they had recently been expelled from their homes in Germany. These people had come here to take up work in a new colony. The people of Montchanin, had made a living off of selling their goods and services and were able to settle here for good, because they had a large population base. Read about Greenville, Delaware – A Wonderful Community here.
A church was built in the year 1815 by the descendants of the French immigrants, which is called Saint Joseph’s Catholic Church. This church, originally called the St. Anne’s Church was destroyed by fire in 1930. The members of Montchanin, and those who lived here before then, rebuilt this old church in the same style as it had been built in the old days. They still hold services here to this day. There is an American flag flying above the front door, in honor of those who fought in World War II. Those who were able to come here during the Civil War, were given a tax break by the United States government, as a way to help them in rebuilding their lives after the war.
View Wilmington Renderings in a full screen map